What are palate expanders?
Palate expanders are an orthodontic tool that benefits patients who have a narrow roof of their mouth, also known as the palate. This kind of orthodontic treatment is commonly recommended for patients who have crowded teeth, overlapping of teeth, crossbite, and other dental issues that could improve with more space in the palate area. Additionally, expanding the upper jaw can help improve the overall look of a patient’s smile. At Concerned Dental, our primary goal is to create a personalized treatment plan that helps you overcome any and all dental concerns, which may include the use of a temporary palate expander.
Why are palate expanders from a dentist used?
Palate expanders may be a good option for you if you suffer from any of the below dental issues:
- Tooth overcrowding - When teeth do not have enough space, it could prevent a child’s adult teeth from coming in and contribute to the development of gum disease or cavities.
- Crossbite - This occurs when the upper jaw is too narrow to align properly with the lower jaw, causing speech issues, bite dysfunction, and other complications.
- Crooked teeth - Another effect of a narrow palate is new teeth growing in crooked or shifting over time, sometimes becoming so crooked that a person becomes self-conscious about their smile.
What does getting palate expanders involve?
Your orthodontist at Concerned Dental will walk you through the entire process of getting palate expanders during your first visit with us. In general, here’s what you can expect:
- Your orthodontist creates a custom expander to fit inside your mouth over the top of some of your back teeth.
- The expander has a small screw, which you’ll need to turn slightly each day to help the mouth continue to adjust to the device.
- After the desired expansion is reached, you’ll continue to wear your palate expander for several months to give your palate bone time to fill in the newly created space.
- Then, your palate expander is taken off and your teeth will appear more aligned and have the necessary spacing.
What are the benefits of getting palate expanders?
Palate expanders can offer the following benefits:
- Improves the look of your smile
- Gives more room for teeth to spread out and fit better in your mouth
- Helps avoid gum disease and cavities that can occur more easily when teeth are crowded
- Allows teeth to grow in straight in children
- Does not need to be worn permanently
If you believe you may need palate expanders, visit Concerned Dental. We offer comprehensive dental services for patients in The Bronx, Queens, Manhattan, Westchester, and Long Island. Our modern and friendly practice is home to a highly-qualified team of general dentists, orthodontists, oral surgeons, and other dental professionals who can handle all aspects of dentistry from one convenient location. To book your visit, call our office at (800) 583-9285 or request an appointment today.