What Is A Cone Beam 3D (CBCT) Scan?
A Cone Beam 3D (CBCT) scan is a quick and painless dental procedure that allows your dentist to get an accurate and detailed look at your mouth and relating structures. Through the use of specialized X-ray technology and equipment, a dental cone beam CT scan can provide your dentist with a 360° view and 3D imaging of your teeth, certain tissues, nerve pathways, bone, and other structures – all in one single scan.
A dental cone beam CT scan can be used to capture dental images of your whole mouth or it can be used to focus in on and capture dental images of a specific area of your upper or lower jaw. A dental cone beam CT scan provides more detailed and precise dental imaging versus traditional dental X-rays. When traditional dental X-rays do not provide enough information, your dentist may perform a dental cone beam CT scan.
Why Might My Dentist Perform A Cone Beam 3D (CBCT) Scan?
Your dentist might perform a Cone Beam 3D (CBCT) scan when traditional dental X-rays do not provide your dentist with enough information. A dental cone beam CT scan can also help your dentist to map out a more precise and appropriate treatment plan for you based on information gathered from the 3D imaging. A dental cone beam CT scan can also help your dentist with the following:
- Planning dental surgery
- Diagnosing certain diseases of the jaw
- Implanting dental prosthetics
- Assessing dental structures within your mouth
- Detecting and treating tumors located in the jaw
- Gathering information about your dental bone structure and tooth orientation
- Locating the source of dental pain or diseases
- Performing reconstructive dental surgery
What Does A Cone Beam 3D (CBCT) Scan Involve?
A dental cone beam CT scan involves your dentist taking an X-ray of your mouth. Before the CBCT scan begins, your dentist may ask that you remove any metal accessories which may impair the outcome of the scan. You will then be asked to sit in a chair or lie down on an exam table. Once you are relaxed and comfortable, the following steps may occur:
- Your dentist will position you so that the equipment is directed at the center position of the area that will require scanning
- You will be directed to be as still as possible
- An X-ray device will circle around you for one full rotation or less
- Once the scan is complete, your dentist will assess the scans and may go over them with you
What Are The Benefits Of A Cone Beam 3D (CBCT) Scan?
Cone Beam 3D (CBCT) scans have various benefits, such as:
- Helping your dentist diagnose certain diseases of the jaw
- Capturing dental images from multiple angles to allow for a more complete assessment of your mouth
- Providing precise, accurate visual data that can help your dentist develop a treatment plan appropriate for your orthodontic needs
- Lower output of radiation
- No pain experienced
What Concerned Dental Locations Offer Cone Beam 3D (CBCT) Scans?
Concerned Dental Care offers the Cone Beam 3D (CBCT) scans at the following convenient locations:
To Learn More About Our Technologies, Visit Concerned Dental. We Offer Comprehensive Dental Services For Patients In The Bronx, Queens, Manhattan, Westchester, And Long Island. Our Modern And Friendly Practice Is Home To A Highly-Qualified Team Of General Dentists, Orthodontists, Oral Surgeons, And Other Dental Professionals Who Can Handle All Aspects Of Dentistry From One Convenient Location. To Book Your Visit, Call Our Office At (800) 583-9285 Or Request An Appointment Today.